Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Charlie (our pet)

LIFE/DEATH/CHARLIE
9/23/2009 3:01:54 AM

Our beloved Charlie, our Lapa apso (sp?) , dog of many years is dying. I made a special trip to pick up our son ,Mark, to pay his final respects. We are saddened. Please note the time in this blog. Charlie wants to die. I grew up on a farm, and I know how animals behave on their last days. They, along with us humans, just want to be left alone on our last days. I would be the same. I looked for Charlie yesterday and he was in the garden next to our string beans. I will make a place for him in our garden. Just don’t tell our government. They’ll probably want to take that freedom to choose our pets burial also.

I got to thinking about ALL the pets in our lives.

My 1st pet was Tyke. I wrote about Tyke earlier. I was around 4 or 5 and Tyke and I were farm friends. We once went looking for turtle eggs together. Details on an earlier version in www.myownfaith2.com/blog

We went through many pets back then, including cats. I remember a few stories back then. One of our pets was a black lab named Smokey. He was our hunting dog. I don’t hunt. But I would block the corn rows while my older brothers and our Minneapolis friends would hunt. Smokey was my responsibility to keep under leash until the birds were flushed. It was a dirty job but somebody had to do it.

Smokey was once left in the trunk of our car for days. I believe brother Dale forgot him in there from one of there many hunting expeditions. I was NOT responsible. Smokey was OK, just hungry and thirsty.

Our 1st dog in our marriage was Fritz. Fritz was a German Shepard. He lived with us in our little cracker box rental house in Omaha NE.
I had just become honorably discharged from the Air Force. We had Fritz for maybe a couple years. Once we took Fritz with us to Bruce SD. Herman and Lorraine fell in love with the dog and wanted Fritz. We gave them our pet, if I remember correctly.

These and other pets in my short life of 64 years have many fond memories.

I will check on Charlie later today.

I have become very attached to my pets. They’re family to me.

Bye bye Charlie .. see you in heaven (I hope)

Signed,

Your faithful friend,

My

No comments:

Post a Comment